Fear

Scripture: Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand

Prayer

Adult:

Dear God,

I am not sleeping at night. My stomach is tied in knots. Can you help me overcome my anxieties and fears? Can you help give me peace in the darkness? Can you let me be ok with however you want to lead me? Thank You God – I love you! Amen!

Child:

Dear God,

I am afraid! Can you stand beside me and help me not be afraid? I love you God – Amen!

Activity:

Fear is an emotion which can impact a person both mentally and physically. For me, when I am afraid it consumes me in all ways and I can’t sleep, eat, etc. At one point, my husband and I had considered separating and the fear of starting over and the failure of our marriage made me physically sick. Sometimes when my husband travels for a long weekend, the noises of the house seem to be louder and more frequent. At these times, I thank God for our dog Mugsy who is a true blessing. His favorite spot on our bed is at the end of the bed as a watch dog; which is the perfect spot to calm me down and let me rest. This week the exercises are created to conquer Fear.

Adult:

1. Look up additional Bible verses around Fear and meditate on them
  2. Write down your thoughts and then ask yourself what thoughts seem to be rational or irrational
  3. Do something crazy like dance in the rain or play in the mud.
  4. Do an activity to take care of yourself (ex. work out, drink more water, have sex, etc.)
  5. Try to face your fear head on and ask God to help you.
  6. Find what comforts you. Of course, not everyone can have a pet, but they are truly God’s blessings during times of fear.

Child:

1. Talk through their fear and do something to minimize the fear (ex. buy a night light or crack their door)
  2. Sing them a song which is calming (ex. You are My Sunshine)
  3. Do something to make them laugh (ex. ride a horse, play in the playground)
  4. Spend some extra time together (ex. build a fort, make cookies, play tag, dress up)
  5. Face the fear with them (ex. go on a roller-coaster together)
Share with Friends