Embarrassment

Scripture: Genesis 3:7

Then the eyes of both of them were opened. As a result, they both understood what they had done, and they became aware they were naked.

Prayer:

Adult:

Dear God,

Please don’t allow me to make decisions from pride, embarrassment, or caring too much what other people think. Please tell my heart and mind what is the right decision. Please allow me to understand mistakes happen and you are here to help me through the maze. Please help take away the feeling of embarrassment and let me know this isn’t the way you see me. It is also not the way I should see myself. If others see me like this, then please don’t let me take it personally, but be able to remind myself the most important relationship is with you God. I love you.

Child:

Dear God,

You know what it is like to be a child. It can be awful if you are trying to fit in or if other kids continuously make fun of you. God, please don’t let everyone continue to make fun of me and please keep me strong and wise so I can handle future embarrassing moments. God I love you!

Activities:

Of course, like everyone else I’ve had embarrassing moments of outfit malfunctions, lipstick on my teeth, etc. However, the most traumatic times happened when I was young. At one point in my life I had a newsboy haircut and the taunts never stopped. Plenty of people called me a boy. I also had people laugh at my symptoms of Epilepsy such as going in a daze or pacing in our backyard. Some of these symptoms along with always losing one glove, having my papers crinkled in my folder, etc. also frustrated and embarrassed my parents. The lucky part is every embarrassing moment for me such as really screwing up the college dance captain try-outs turned out to be a growth moment for me. I now consider myself a strong woman who when determined can get through any situation. Sure, I expect embarrassing moments still to occur, but if you can laugh at yourself and know it is not the end of the world, then you will be stronger for the experience. Below are some exercises to try when feeling embarrassed.

Adult:

1. Do something to laugh at yourself whether this is running in the rain, playing with Play-Doh, putting on goofy outfits, coming up with Mad Lib jokes, remembering funny times in the past, playing charades or doing standup with friends, etc. Literally making fun of yourself can help you not take the situation so seriously.
  2. Go and center yourself whether this is fishing, taking a walk, having yogurt with a friend, yoga, etc. Perhaps you are in a state of chaos because you are not feeling centered.
  3. Talk to someone who you trust of what you are embarrassed about and get their perspective.
  4. Pretend someone came to you with your exact situation. What advice would you give them?
  5. Think about 3 years from now and tell yourself what this situation will look like in 3 years
  6. Ask someone close to you what is their most embarrassing moment? Everyone has these moments – it’s just learning how you can handle them for yourself.

Child:

1. Talk to your child about a few of your embarrassing moments
  2. Have 1:1 time with your child where you are only focusing on them and do something fun so they know they are not alone no matter what happens
  3. Discuss what they can do when they face the same group again. The purpose is to build up their confidence.
  4. Write a note in their lunch box or backpack the next day or promise them something at the end of the day so they have something to look forward to
  5. Talk about people you look up to and their embarrassing moments and how they overcame those moments
  6. Teach them how to laugh at themselves. Do something fun and goofy to get them to smile.
Share with Friends